• Server Status: Online

Ataraxia Updates #36 - 17th December 2019

• Administrator

Hey guys so this is the complete list of updates and fixes involving the website so far, from beginning to present.

It not much at all, very small list compared to what needs to be done, but the amount of work gone into each small detail is nuts, especially since I've done it from the ground up with virtually no help, making everything custom and tailored to Ataraxia. I know this isn't even the full list and I'm missing out a lot. However, I hope you enjoy seeing what I have done. I'm happy with how much has progressed over the course of a few months.

Updates:

- Setup new dedicated webserver + configured entirely new environment to run on from scratch
- Setup RAID storage (we have redudant storage to recover from any data loss basically)
- Wrote a new automated backup system from scratch for both gameserver and webserver. These run every 12 hours
- Installed Invision and updated to latest version
- Implemented new registration form for forums
- New forum theme implemented (Thank you Titanium)
- Setup failover network (if webserver / gameserver networks goes down we have another network to use as a failsafe to minimise downtime)
- 3 layer DDoS protection configured
- Firewall setup
- Network optimised
- Setup a new system for Developers & Admins to interact with gameserver and webserver if I'm not around
- Hiscores added
- IPMI interface configured (If either server takes critical failures and are failing to boot or anything, I can still get into contact with the machine and perform wizadry)
- New database structure implemented
- Vote rewards changed from 1 VP per site to 2 VP per site as we only have 3 sites (Again, thank you Armar)

Fixes:

- Fixed forum registration error "you are not permitted to register here"
    > This was caused due to Invisions spam email blacklisting, if your email flags as spam it instead goes to moderation for review and approval.
- Fixed specific forum posts unable to load
- Fixed voting
- Fixed voting issue where you couldn't claim due to spaces in your name (Thank you Armar)
- Fixed the multitude of reasons causing the system to hang and site to go down (this took hours to fix so im not going to go into details)
- Fixed CAPTCHA issue & added questions to registrations
- Spambots now get insta-banned on forums
- Fixed normal members able to access restricted content on main site (2595 hax)
- Fixed Hiscore indexing to update faster upon user logout from in-game
- ALL user & groups have had permissions for forums reworked and fixed
- Two-factor authentication enabled (you can set this up from your account settings on forum)
- If you are given a warning or punishment on the forums, you are forced to read and acknowledge the situation before being able to post again (so you can't cry your way out of your own decisions)
- Fixed routing issues with webserver
- Fixed packet loss issue with gameserver
    > Some people were complaining that they kept dcing but not everyone. Found we had some packet issues which has now been fixed! Anything happens after this, most like your end.
- Fixed SSL
    > Website was not redirecting to HTTPS on every request. Has been fixed.
- Fixed a handful of security issues with the servers
- Fixed our verification emails not working
    > This also allows password recovery to be available without needing to wait for staff
- Fixed Hiscore crash when searching for non-existent player
    > This would cause the webpage to 400, fixed by tweaking the config

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The credits here will have to go to Myself and @armark1ng mainly. Without Armar helping me edit the source for Hiscores and Voting you guys wouldn't have had those features. So a massive thank you my man, you're a legend. Props to Titanium as well for being a lad on helping me with the qualms I had in terms of the website itself and getting stuff done for us.

Crazy to think when I came here ~3-4 years ago starting as a junior support tech, barely knowing anything about servers or networks etc, turning to a lead systems administrator setting up full on corporate infrastructures IRL full time and for Ataraxia. I've learned so much on the way and a lot of it Ataraxia gave me so thank you all for sticking with us, a big thank you.

Much love from me and the staff team ❤️ - Many more things to come!

• Like 5
n3.png.af6553252b2b16e906a185acf6d4ae57.png